Black Bean and Quinoa Quesadillas
Here is a great meal idea that is loaded with protein that your kids will love. Works well in the lunchbox as well!
Quinoa contains high levels of protein, B vitamin, lysine, iron and potassium. Black beans are a good source of protein, thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese and also a very good source of dietary fiber and folate. This recipe makles 4 quesadillas.
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 4 large whole grain tortillas
- ¾ cup grated Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- Measure quinoa and water into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a slow simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes until the water is fully absorbed. Set the pan aside.
- In a separate saucepan, warm-up black beans over low-medium heat.
- Warm a cast-iron skillet over high heat.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet until barely warm, then flip.
- Spoon about ¼ of the cooked quinoa and black beans over half the tortilla.
- Sprinkle about ¼ of the cheese over the black beans.
- Fold the top of the tortilla down.
- Cook for about 1 minute on one side. Flip and cook for another minute.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.