Pasta with Balsamic-Glazed Roasted Vegetables
- 4 small zucchini
- 4 Japanese eggplant (if you can't find, 2 regular eggplants will do)
- 3 sweet bell peppers, assorted colours
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 large red onion
- 1 garlic bulb
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped basil, loosely packed
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb (454g) brown rice pasta
- Pre-heat oven to 425F. Heat a large pot of water on the stove to boil the pasta.
- Slice zucchini and eggplant into 1/8" thick half-moon slices. Halve, seed and cut peppers into 3/4" dice. Slice thick strips of fennel and red onion. Separate, peel and slice the garlic cloves in half lengthwise. Place all of the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and chile flakes. Spread out evenly on two baking sheets and roast in the oven until golden and tender (about 20 minutes). Stir the vegetables halfway through.
- When the vegetables are just about cooked, start to cook the pasta. Salt the pasta water and cook the pasta until al dente. Strain, rinse pasta, and toss with a light coat of extra virgin olive oil.
- When the vegetables are ready, remove them from the oven and put them back into a large bowl with the olives, basil and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with more salt, cracked pepper or balsamic. Toss vegetables with the pasta and serve.