An Optimal Diet
The best nutrition for most people, most of the time.
"I don't need help with that, my diet is pretty good!"
Most people feel that they have a pretty good diet. We all throw the word pretty in there to cover any occasional slip ups. Mostly I think people by now know basically what they should be eating but do not always actually do it. To check to see how you are doing, please track your diet for one week and compare it to the following optimal diet below.
This diet aims to provide balanced nutrition and avoid many of the contributing factors to major illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. It is high in fibre which supports the bowels and elimination. It also supports the liver in its conjugation role, reduce sources of exogenous estrogens and support adrenals and thyroid gland. It is a general diet and does not take into account specific health problems. If you have any concerns about whether this diet is right for you, consult your naturopathic physician.
- Saturated Fats: Red Meats, dairy products, baked goods, processed, packaged, frozen and fast foods
- Refined Carbohydrates: Sugar, white flour, refined foods
- Methylxanthines (Caffeine, Theophylline): Coffee, tea, chocolate, pop
- Red Meat and Fowl: Organic fowl is acceptable
- Dairy Products: Milk, cheese, butter, ice-cream, yogurt
- Cabbage Family (Raw): Cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower (cooked is acceptable)
- Citrus: Oranges, Grapefruits, inhibit the liver's enzyme system
- Chemical additives, colors and preservative
- Essential Fats: Olive and flax oil, sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, cold water fish
- Complex Carbohydrates: Vegetables, whole grains
- Whole Grains: Amaranth, barley, brown rice, buckwheat, kamut, oats, quinoa, rye, spelt, triticale and wild rice
- Protein Variety: Organic fowl, cold water fish, soy products, legumes (bean family), nuts and seeds
- Cold Water Fish: Tuna, salmon, mackerel, herring, cod, sardines
- Water: Pure, uncontaminated, filtered water
- Sulfur Amino Acids: Eggs, garlic, onions, beans
Try following this diet for 2 weeks and see how you feel. You will likely notice a difference, so keep it up: you are doing something really good for yourself.